Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Twitter goes educational, political, and more



Overall, I was impressed by the new twitter handles we were exposed to. They provide information about society and things that are going on, ranging from politics to the prison system as well. Although some provide more information than others (BAMN provides a lot, and I mean a lot of thank you’s in their recent tweets), but mostly they provide thought-provoking dialogue and articles that make us think differently of our own lives. I am a favorite of @lobojost's blog because it hits so close to home (since I live in the Bronx myself) and he talks about things that happen that I would have never even thought about until I would be older. He talks about housing, education, economic justice and anti-systemic-racism organizing, and I have never really thought about those things, so his sources provide me with a background of what really goes on in the Bronx. I honestly don't think that I would have found these twitter handles by myself, but being exposed to them helps me learn more about what I don't really know. I am not convinced that twitter is a legitimate way to have interesting conversations, mainly because of the limited characters one can type to each other. Interesting conversations would most likely be more than 140 characters, and people would probably prefer to have longer and extended conversations, as they would be able to on a blog or on a chat, but twitter makes it easy to share information, and the speed in which one can do so provides a lot of sources for one to look through. These twitter handles provide a great array of information that I would have never been exposed to and which provide me a new perspective in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Jairo Diaz,

    What exactly are Twitter "handles"?

    It seems you have found a lot of new, valuable information on the borough you come from, from following @lobojost's Twitter. I would like to know more about the housing, education, economic justice and anti-systemic-racism organizing. Perhaps you can mention how @lobojost approaches these issues and whether or not he is simply shedding light on these issues or if he is taking action and bringing reform to the borough of the Bronx.

    I am in agreement with you that although Twitter does expose people to issues they may not have been aware of, it is not a useful tool in having elaborate conversations on the issues being brought to attention. Again, it would be useful to know what these Twitter "handles" are and how they work to better understand how you are receiving and finding all of this information, aside from following @lobojost's Twitter.

    Lastly, who is @lobojost?

    ReplyDelete